The Grassroots Sports Club raises money to help financially disadvantaged young people participate in sport. We raise funds by hosting events featuring speakers of great sporting renown. 100% of all proceeds are donated to charities that work with disadvantaged kids and families.
Did you know that only 3 in 10 of Australia's most disadvantaged kids participate in sport outside of school hours? This compares with nearly 8 in 10 of their advantaged peers. The cost of uniforms, membership fees, and equipment can all place a strain on a family's finances. Indeed many young people have limited or no opportunities to participate in sport.
We believe that the playing field should be even for all young people. The benefits of participating in team sports extend far beyond the sporting field. Sport can:
- build community
- promote healthy lifestyles
- enhance development and learning
- promote a safe and protective environment
- foster peer support
- allow people to connect with each other on an 'even footing'
- improve physical and mental health
- build life-skills, self-confidence, leadership and discipline
- foster social inclusion
- empower kids to recognise their own abilities and potential.